Winter Skills Course
Our Winter Skills course develops the essential hill walking skills required for staying safe during winter. It focuses on personal movement skills to prevent taking a slip, cramponing, using an ice axe, self arresting, winter navigation, snow pack analysis, avalanche avoidance, emergency procedures and understanding the winter environment.
Our Winter Skills courses run from 2 days to 5 days aiming to cover the fundamentals of what you need to know to stay safe in the mountains. The minimum course duration is two days and as this course is progressive, it is only possible to attend days later in course if you started the course from the first day.
These courses are all based out on the hill and we run them from Aviemore in the Cairngorms National Park, Scotland.
This is an excellent course which will leave you with the confidence and knowlegde to safely go winter hill walking.
A typical itinerary is;
- Day 1 - We start with the basics; weather & avalanche forecasts, personal equipment, how to walk safely and efficiently on snow and slopes, kicking steps, introduce the ice axe, self arrests, cutting steps and using crampons.
- Day 2 - We continue developing the basic winter movement skills and avalanche awareness before looking at route choice, different uses for an ice axes, different self arrests, more cramponing and emergency procedures. We also begin to look at winter navigation
- Day 3 - Navigating in winter. We develop your skills in map reading, using a compass, route choice, timing and pacing.
- Day 4 - Putting your skills into practice. Today we put everything we have learnt into practice as we move through the dynamic mountain environment and aim to climb a mountain.
- Day 5 - On our final day we refresh all the winter skills covered to ensure you are happy and able to stay safe.
- Learn how to use crampons & ice axes
- Develop avalanche awareness
- Self arrests
- Improve your navigation skills
- Emergency procedures
- Understand the winter environment better
- Qualified & experienced guides
If you are a student group or a hill walking club, we are offer discounted winter skills courses, please get in touch for more information.
We are now also running Introduction to Winter Walking courses which are 1 day for complete novices.
To make a booking or enquiry please see below about when the courses are running, if these dates don't suit you, we may be able to offer alternative dates, so please get in touch.
up to 5 days
Course Start Dates: