Intro to Ski Mountaineering
This is the starting point for those looking to get into ski touring, the finest way to travel on a snow covered mountain.
This course compliments existing ski skills with essential backcountry techniques and equipment.
- Personal equipment and how ski touring equipment works
- Understanding weather and avalanche forecasts
- Skinning up-hill, kick turns & cramponing
- Off-piste ski coaching
- Winter navigation on skis and route planning
- Avalanche transceiver training
- Techniques & tactics for mountain journeying
- Winter mountaineering skills (self arrests, movement skills, ice axes). *covered on 5 day courses
This is a practical course and is ideal for those who have some ski experience on the piste and who are looking to venture into the mountains away from the resorts. We offer two day (weekend) or full five day course, which are based out of Aviemore in the Cairngorms National Park. A typical itinerary would be;
- Day 1. Introduction to equipment; skis, bindings, skins etc and weather and avalanche forecasts. Once you are happy with your personal equipment and ski set-up we take a ski tour coaching skinning uphill, kick turns and adapting your down hill ski technique to the backcountry.
- Day 2. Today we consolidate the skills developed on day 1 and refine transitions between ascent and descent. We would aim to tackle steeper terrain and have a longer ski tour whilst increasing our understanding of the winter environment. It's important for participants to be involved in the decision making process of a ski tour.
- Day 3. Our winter skills are refined today with practicing ice axe arrests, cramponing and avalanche awareness. Participants will learn how these essential skills could fit into the context of a ski tour. We'll also have time to enjoy some quality skiing!
- Day 4. Participants plan and execute a ski tour in a new mountain area. Your guide will be along side to assist, but this a great opportunity to develop the confidence and freedom for touring.
- Day 5. Our final day is great fun as we ascend multiple summits, tailoring coaching to specific needs. Each participant will complete the course with a clear pathway to achieving independent, safe and enjoyable ski tours.
If there is a small group of you we will be able to offer a discount.
The cost does not include ski touring equipment, but equipment is available for hire from Ellis Brighams in Aviemore.
To make a booking or enquiry please see below about when the courses are running, if these dates don't suit you, we may be able to offer alternative dates, so please get in touch.
Level > Moderate
Download Course Information