Our 2 day introduction to ski touring course for beginners compliments existing ski skills with essential backcountry techniques and equipment. The course runs from Aviemore in the Cairngorms National Park, Scotland.
· Personal equipment and how ski touring equipment works
· Understanding weather and avalanche forecasts
· Skinning up-hill, kick turns & cramponing
· Off-piste ski coaching
· Winter navigation on skis and route planning
· Basic avalanche transceiver training
· Techniques & tactics for mountain journeying
This is a practical course and is ideal for those who have some ski experience on the piste and who are looking to venture into the mountains away from the resorts. A typical itinerary would be;
· Day 1. Introduction to equipment; skis, bindings, skins etc and weather and avalanche forecasts. Once you are happy with your personal equipment and ski set-up we take a ski tour coaching skinning uphill, kick turns and adapting your down hill ski technique to the backcountry. During this day we’ll also begin to develop your route planning and navigation skills, as well as introduce avalanche awareness ‘Be Aware’ principles
· Day 2. We plan a ski tour that reflects the mountain and weather conditions. This is a great opportunity to learn how to plan a safe and fun ski tour. We’ll also consolidate the skills developed on day 1 and refine transitions between ascent and descent. By the end of day 2 you’ll have a good understanding of how to develop your ski touring skills for future trips
If there is a small group of you we will be able to offer a discount.
The cost does not include ski touring equipment, but equipment is available for hire from Ellis Brighams in Aviemore.
To make a booking or enquiry please see below about when the courses are running, if these dates don't suit you, we may be able to offer alternative dates, so please get in touch.