Intro to Winter Mountaineering
Our Introduction to Scottish Winter Mountaineering course bridges the gap between walking and climbing. It is aimed at people who have winter hill walking experience in Scotland and who have aspirations of moving on steeper and more challenging terrain.
The course aims to teach you the skills required for moving safely on steeper terrain during winter such as gullies, headwalls and rocky ridges, using ropes and mountaineering techniques.
This course is progressive with a ratio of 1:2 (although it can be greater if you are a small party), and is a five day programme. Our courses are based out of Aviemore which is in the Cairngorms National Park, Scotland.
- A typical itinerary would see us on our first day refresh your core winter skills such as good foot-work, cramponing, using ice axes, avalanche awareness and navigation. It is essential to have these fundamental skills at a good level before moving onto steeper terrain. We will also introduce ropes, harnesses and basic belays.
- Next day we’ll move onto steeper terrain, looking at personal techniques for moving safely, how and when to use a rope, simple snow and rock anchors, and belaying.
- Day three and you’ll put the skills you have learned into practice as we move through the mountains on steeper snow terrain, typically a grade 1 gully. You’ll have your guide climbing alongside keeping you right as you make decisions, choose anchors and make belays.
- Day four is another journey through the mountains this time on rocky ridges. Ridges can be a challenging mountain feature that require a different strategy climbing gullies and headwalls.
- Our final day will see us moving on mixed snow and rock terrain using a combination of the different techniques you have learned. There is also an opportunity on this day to re-visit anything covered earlier in the course.
We believe the best way to winter mountaineer safely is by having the experience to make good decisions. That's why on our courses you will do as much mountaineering and learning as possible to give you that confidence.
If you would prefer a 1:1 ratio or bespoke dates, the cost is £265.00 per day.
Please see below the dates when our courses are running. If these dates don't suit you or you are looking for a shorter course we may be able to offer alternative dates, so please get in touch.
Level > Difficult